- Only 2% of workers had no regrets when it came to their career, a survey from Zety revealed. Of the remaining 98%, the number-one regret was not taking more initiative. Next on the list was not having guidance or a mentor, followed by not taking more chances and not maintaining their network, Zety said. Not quitting a job they hated sooner rounded out workers' top five regrets.
- When it came to gender issues, women were 34% more likely than men to regret not speaking up about a problem; 32% more likely to regret not asking for more money; and 30% more likely than their male counterparts to have selected a field where they didn't earn enough. Men were 28% more likely than women to regret not working harder; 20% more likely to regret not maintaining their networks and 15% more likely to regret not taking more initiative, Zety said.
- When it comes to pay, the study revealed 70% of respondents would prefer a satisfying job that doesn't pay a large amount of money, and 30% said they'd prefer a dissatisfying job that pays a lot. More than half of the respondents said it wasn't too late to make a career change.
Regrets may be a part of everyone's career path, with some studies finding student loan debt at the top of many worker's lists. For many workers, an accepted job offer was problematic, while others would go back and change their education choices if they had the chance. For employers, this information can be an opportunity. Organizations that are aware of the stressors and concerns facing its staff are in a better position to develop an employee-first culture that addresses their needs and provides chances to adjust their career paths.
When employers treat culture as an imperative, staff members may feel more capable of expressing their experiences to others; in turn, leaders are usually more transparent about what they want to track. However, employers that encourage creative expression might consider if workers will be penalized in turn for expressing themselves and being vulnerable with their teams. Soliciting employee feedback, even anonymously through surveys, can help HR departments create a culture of listening and turn potential regrets into opportunities for growth.