How the 85% rule is transforming training for multigenerational workforces
There is a link between the law enforcement 85 percent rule, created by Sergeant Kris Allshouse and published in The Police Chief magazine, and facilitating training for a multi-generation workforce, says Edgar Wilson, an independent analytical consultant who writes for eLearning Industry.
The 85% rule refers to the training methodology that is commonly used for training new law enforcement officers. They receive 15% of their training in a traditional classroom environment, with an instructor delivering question and answer materials; and the remaining 85% of learning happens organically through conversations, cross examinations, and questions posed by peers.
Wilson believes that in the challenging multi-generational workforce we find ourselves facing today, learning can be catered to meet the learning needs of each student, regardless of age or learning style by using the 85% rule – which puts learning into the hands of students.
Wilson views the multi-generational workforce learning path as an opportunity to utilize the rule, rather than just be viewed as a challenge. His approach details this.
He says that, “Using this system decentralizes instruction, and compels students to look to one another for insight, ideas, and answers.” He cites research that has shown over and over again that each generation approaches learning differently, choosing tools they prefer and are comfortable with, and they use them differently too.
Wilson also mentions that a key component of the rule is to provide the right amount of learning materials. He says that, “The 85 Percent Rule leaves some room for innovative approaches to content and instruction, but the overwhelming majority of time is meant to be spent in guided discourse.”
Mentoring in learning is also an invaluable resource, as each generation has something to bring to the table and people can learn from each other. Storytelling is a natural part of this process, as people from all age groups can relate the learning materials to their own life experiences.
- eLearning Industry 4 Ways The 85 Percent Rule Can Benefit Corporate Training
Follow Tess Taylor on Twitter